Beachside Thriving



This week we've taken the family to the beach. 

We've taken this same trip since before the boys were born. 

This year they've achieved a new level of independence (having finally stopped eating sand and learned to use the potty) which has allowed me some (exceedingly brief) moments of reflection. 

Each day as we pull our wagon to the shore and set up our little oasis on the sand I am pleasantly surprised by how little we need in comparison to our life in the suburbs. 

Our safety needs boil down to sun protection lotion and the shelter of an umbrella. Water and snacks meet our physical needs. Rocks, sand, water, and sea creatures occupy busy, little minds for hours. No requests for iPad, TV or other toys. 

For myself, I brought a pile of books - and although I did read a lot, I often found myself just sitting - my mind as empty as the beach in the early morning, washed clean by the sea. 

How I yearn to bring this peace and simplicity home with us. How impossible it seems. 

As I stand upon my yoga mat I find my practice unfolds effortlessly. It, too is simplified. I find that the simplest poses are enough. My breath deep, my mind quiet, my body grounding down to the earth and reaching up to the sun. 




Though we cannot live forever in a cottage by the shore, perhaps we can take some of the simplicity home with us. 

That seems like a most valuable souvenir. 

Comments

Popular Posts