New Year, New You?

It seems that January 1st is always fraught with expectations. Resolutions are made and we expect ourselves to snap-to-it.

Spartan eating regimes.

Vigorous exercise schedules.

Cleaning, organizing.

Unfortunately for me, this isn't the time of year when I am most motivated. The days are cold and the nights are long. Blankets and soup call to me more than treadmills and salads.

This year I resolve to enter the New Year gently and with much love.

I know that come spring I will be much more motivated to get outdoors, hike, run walk and bike. I will be awash in spring greens from the farm.

This January, I will try to nourish my body with healthy, whole foods that remember where they came from. I will honor what is in season, and give thanks for that which was frozen or canned while at its peak.

I will move my body with love, knowing that this body of mine will be stiff and tight on cold mornings. I will find movement styles that make me feel good, make me laugh and will not leave me with pain or frustration.

I will lovingly acknowledge that January isn't the best time of year for me. I know I will struggle and trudge through the long, cold, winter months and I must forgive myself when I cannot meet my own outlandish expectations.

I resolve to do what I can. I will accept and encourage myself, rather than push and judge.

My goal will be to emerge into spring having enjoyed the hearth and home that winter brings, rather than bursting out "bikini ready!" in May.

In this New Year, I resolve to stay present (even when the moment is cold and dark), breathe deeply (even when the air hurts my nose), and draw close my friends and loved ones (even when the boys are grouchy).

Now that's a resolution list I might actually stick to.

Comments

Popular Posts