There's squash in there?

Well hello gang! 

We have returned from our oh-so-brief sojourn into the "wilderness."

There was a tent, campfires, s'mores. Dirty, exhausted children. Swimming, laughing, music, good food and good company. 

Don't be fooled, though. I only "rough it" to a certain extent. There was also mini-golf, take-out, and nearby indoor plumbing. 

Once home though, I craved some serious time in my kitchen - cooking a real meal. 

The cool, rainy Sunday made me crave a pasta casserole type dish and a little gem was born. 

Now this is not a "health food" item, gang. But it definitely falls into the "all things in moderation" category.

For me, I was looking for comforting, homey and not too guilt inducing. 

I took my favorite macaroni and cheese recipe and began to fiddle. 

Squasheroni and Not a Lot of Cheese. 

First to go was the old school pasta - replaced by a noodle with some protein, fiber and some actual nutrition. 

Next up the majority of the cheese was replaced with frozen squash, thawed in the microwave.  And the bit of cheese that remained was a flavor packed blend of Parmesan and pecorino. 

Milk gave way to low fat, low sodium chicken stock. 

And finally a blend of sautéed veggies nestled their way in among the noodles. 

Is this the mac'n'cheese of my childhood? 

No.

Is it a huge, kale-laden salad?

Also, no. 

(Though I do recommend the huge salad to be served alongside.)

I hope to have landed somewhere in the middle. 

This dish met my comfy-cozy, home cooked needs but didn't saddle me with an evening of guilt.

Now, if only I could have found a way to sneak some veggies into those s'mores. 

Though what happens at the campfire stays at the campfire, right? 









Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts