From Foolish to Proud

Now I know this is a little pathetic for a modern, 35 year old woman. I know. I know. But you know I'm all about honesty so here it is.

A warning light came on in my car.

I began panicking and swearing calmly looked up the light in my car's handy manual.

I can handle this.

It was a low tire pressure warning.

Easy-peasy. I can do this.

I obtained quarters (necessary for some putting-air-into-your-tires machines) and bravely went to my local gas station.

My first attempt (yes it took 2 attempts, okay?) at putting air in the tires failed awesomely. I fumbled with the gauge, the hose, and quickly ran out of time. I hoped I had done good enough, but as I pulled away from the station ... the light remained.

Undaunted, I obtained more quarters and bravely returned to the station today.

This time I read the instructions on the air-machine-thing - ah-ha!

I successfully located the offending tire. Added air. Checked the other tires and still had time on the machine to spare.


Success! The light turned off!

Now, I know that putting air into one's tires is not a difficult skill, but it was certainly one that I debated passing off to my beloved Hubs. 

It is important to step outside our comfort zone and do the things we'd rather have someone else do for us, because we don't want to look foolish. 

I'm okay with looking foolish - it's generally a part of any learning process. And now that I've fumbled through, I'm pretty dang proud of myself. 

Looking and feeling foolish is something most people avoid like the plague. But stumbling through the unknown can sometimes lead us to some great places. 

So, do me a favor and share this post with someone you know who is nervous regarding fitness.  Know that feeling nervous or foolish is sometimes the first step to making a change in your life and we celebrate that at Thrive. Come as you are. Give it a shot. Laugh. And leave feeling proud.

Comments

Popular Posts