In the Toolbox

Some days are beautiful, aren't they?

Perhaps a day spent with family or friends. A day filled with laughter, yummy food, beautiful scenery and festive activities.

Sometimes these beautiful days spin out into a long weekend of loveliness or even carry on into a full week of vacation.

It's lovely and beautiful and we wish for the days to be endless.

But. 

Why must there always be a "but"?

Some days do not feel like a vacation. Some days are full of struggle and frustration.

The house is a mess, the laundry runneth over. The dinner is burned. The work is challenging. The health is sniffly or achy or otherwise grouchy.

So, my friends. What are we to do when life feels hard?

Today I'll share what's in my yucky-day tool box and I hope you will share your tools with me.

Together we can get through anything.

I'm sure you won't be surprised to hear yoga is in my tool box. The surprising bit is that there are 2 ways in which my yoga practice gets me through hard times.

First off, there's the actual practice. There's a pose for any bodily complaint and a practice style and tempo for any mood or energy level.  Depending on the status of my mind and body I can always find something to make me feel better and more at peace.

The second bit is more subtle - but much more powerful. My ongoing commitment to yoga practice has taught me many valuable lessons that never fail to support me on a bad day.
All things pass. 
All things become easier with time. 
I can survive anything for one breath longer than I think I can. 
Letting my thoughts run rampant doesn't help. 
Taking a big breath always helps.

So, when a bad day strikes - I get on my mat.

Getting myself on my mat almost always leads me to another tool in my tool box - connecting with another person.

The smiles and conversations in the studio never fail to open me up, especially when I'd rather huddle under a blanket and draw inward.

Practicing within a group, talking to someone, even walking among other people reminds me that I am not alone.

After practice I'm usually starving, which leads me to even more tools in my tool box.

Time spent creatively in my kitchen is soothing and comforting and there isn't much that a big pot of soup can't fix.

Now having met the needs of my body, if I am still in a bit of a funk - I hit my arsenal of essential oils and Bach flower remedies..

There are blends that soothe, blends that invigorate,  blends that help me rest, blends that help me heal.

At the end of the day I turn to meditation and Reiki. Clearing away the negative with healing energy, preparing to welcome a better day tomorrow.

Sometimes a bad day can make me feel powerless - but when I look at it this way - I see how powerful my tools are, and how many are at my disposal.

Life is not a series of endless holidays, nor should it be. How would we ever develop courage, discipline or compassion if we never faced fear, difficulty or loss?

Though it is worthwhile to forge virtues like courage, discipline and compassion - it is not always an easy road and I for one feel blessed to have my toolbox - and to have you, dear friend with your tools, too.

Comments

Popular Posts