Meditation for Everyone

This weekend we have our Introduction to Meditation workshop so I have found myself immersed lately in my favorite meditation practices, teachers, and techniques as we prepare.

News reports about the health benefits of a meditation practice are everywhere - and yet how many of us are actually practicing?

crickets chirping

I've heard all the excuses. I can't meditate because: "I can't sit still." "My mind is always racing." "I can't quiet my thoughts." "I fall asleep." "I get bored."

I know, I know, gang. Here's a secret - everyone who has ever meditated for more than 2 minutes has had all of those experiences during their practice. It's part of the journey.

The good news is that there is a meditation style or technique that can help us address any roadblock we can think up.

Can't sit still? Try a walking meditation.

Get too sleepy? Try a guided imagery meditation.

Can't quiet your thoughts? That's good 

What?

Yeah, you heard me.

Learning to deal with those intrusive, persuasive, rowdy, noisy, distracting thoughts is what meditation is all about. 

Your thoughts aren't ruining your meditation. Your thoughts are your meditation.

Shocking, I know.

With practice we come to observe the frenetic, crazy, neurotic workings of our mind from a safe distance. We'll always have thoughts, but by learning to watch them come and go we are able to tap in to the stillness and peace that is behind and in between our thoughts. We can learn to let our most heated thoughts go and avoid the unnecessary and painful drama our thoughts can inflict on us.

Ready to stress and worry less? Ready to quit that habitual behavior for good?

Ready to relax? Ready to make positive change?

It all starts in the mind.

And no, you will not be required to do any creepy chanting - even though I do love a good OM now and then.

Comments

Popular Posts