Doing Yoga Saves Lives

Surely we all know the benefits of practicing yoga: increased flexibility and strength, decreased back pain, stress reduction and improved sleep just to name a few.

But today, my friends, today yoga saved a life.

Today yoga saved the life of one ornery five year old boy who lives in my house.

It was circa 7:45am and my little cherub needed to get his shoes and coat on for the bus.

Unfortunately, the ornery child was not particularly keen on putting his shoes on. Nor was he too keen in listening to my opinion on the matter.

A struggle ensued.

I am hoping that the recent full moon is to blame for the level of sass that was present in this small child today, for if this level of sass continues - we are in for a world of trouble.

But, I digress.  

Now, I know you are wondering, "Melissa, how does this ugly scene with your son and his snow boots relate to yoga?"

Allow me to explain.

In yoga, we place our bodies into uncomfortable positions. While we are in these uncomfortable positions we take deep breaths, we focus fully on the breath and we learn to be fully present with the discomfort without getting carried away in thoughts about the discomfort. Thoughts like, "I hate lunges. When will my hamstrings be more flexible? Why is everyone stronger/better/thinner than me? When are we getting OUT of this pose?" 

With practice, I've learned to let go of these thoughts and hang out in discomfort with a quiet mind.

This ability is what saved the life of a certain little boy today.

I don't know if I was under-caffeinated, over-caffeinated, underfed, sleepy or under the influence of the moon myself but this child got on my last nerve this morning.

Things escalated. There was yelling. We hovered on the edge of tantrum-city.

As we debated the shoe situation, our voices becoming louder and more shrill, I felt a familiar sense of discomfort arising. I would have done anything to get out of that moment, and that is a very familiar place for me. On my yoga mat I very frequently wish, desperately, to get out of a particular pose.

So, as I do on my mat, I turned to my breath to calm my mind. What was inside my head was something like this: Put. On. The. Shoes. We go through this EVERY day. WHEN will he learn to LISTEN? We are going to MISS the bus. Where IS he NOW? Why is he LYING DOWN? PUT ON THE SHOES!  

Now, in the essence of full disclosure, breathing deeply and consciously did not miraculously turn me into some endlessly patient, merrily singing Mary Poppins figure. But, I did manage to lower my voice, speak calmly and clearly (through gritted teeth), get the aforementioned shoes onto the feet and get us all to the bus stop alive.

And that's a win in my book.


Lived to see another day.


Comments

Popular Posts